With the degradation of online privacy and the increasing number of cyber attacks, Internet users want to know how to protect themselves when they are connected. More and more people are interested in the benefits of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
First of all: what is a VPN?
VPN is short for virtual private network and refers to software used to encrypt users’ Internet traffic and protect their online identity by masking their IP address. The main purpose of this technology is therefore to help you browse the Internet in complete confidentiality and security.
How it works?
Usually when you connect to the Internet, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) receives a request and redirects you to the website you want to visit. When your Internet traffic is managed by your ISP, he can see absolutely everything you do online. He is also able to follow the habits of his users and resell their personal data to advertisers and other third parties.
This is where VPN comes in. It redirects your Internet traffic through a remote VPN server, thus masking your IP address and encrypting all the information you send or receive. Once VPN is enabled, all incoming and outgoing data is routed through an encrypted tunnel so that no one can steal your personal information or spy on your online activities.
Why should you use a VPN?
On the Internet, there is no privacy, we are monitored and followed the moment we connect. The websites we visit, the pop-ups we click on, the clothes we buy and the research we do … All of this information is collected by ISPs, advertisers, governments and others.
Unfortunately, no magic wand can make you completely anonymous while browsing the web, but using a VPN is the best you can do to protect your privacy and keep you safe online. As a bonus, VPNs offer many additional benefits, especially if you are a fan of streaming content, sharing files in P2P or want to bypass censorship and geo-restrictions. Internet users often use VPN services for the following reasons:
- Privacy and Security: No one likes having someone watching what you do. Once your IP address is hidden and your communications are encrypted, you can be sure that your data will be kept out of prying eyes.
- Protect yourself from cybercriminals : Nowadays, pirates are more and more creative and it is very easy to fall into their traps. A VPN is by far the most reliable way to secure your communications and avoid being a victim of hackers.
- Access websites and online services securely: A VPN helps you safely bypass access restrictions and certain censorship by allowing you to connect to thousands of remote servers located all over the world. This is particularly useful if you go on holiday abroad or if you live in a country where access to certain content is restricted. When your IP is hidden, it becomes impossible to identify the country from which you are browsing the Internet.
- Protect yourself from DDoS attacks : Not all attacks are money-driven: some hackers simply like to interfere with other people’s connections and devices. Denial of service attacks are becoming more and more common in online gaming communities, but using a VPN can help gamers avoid attack attempts by their opponents.
- Bypass bandwidth limitations, which has a direct impact on how quickly you can view or download content online.
How to choose a VPN provider?
Once you’ve decided to use a VPN, you obviously want to choose a reliable, secure, and easy-to-use service. US-Reviews gives you a lot of reliable options for your VPN provider with reliable VPN Reviews.